1. Pavilion 1910
    Pavilion 1910
  2. Lumb Cup Winners 1936
    Lumb Cup Winners 1936
  3. Ground 1956
    Ground 1956
  4. Team 1963
    Team 1963
  5. Parish Cup Final 1967
    Parish Cup Final 1967
  6. Lady Cricketers 1969
    Lady Cricketers 1969
  7. Pavilion Blown Down 1976
    Pavilion Blown Down 1976
  8. Circa 1980
    Circa 1980
  9. Crossley Shield Winners 1984
    Crossley Shield Winners 1984
  10. Crossley Shield Winners 1986
    Crossley Shield Winners 1986
  11. Late 1990's Junior Side
    Late 1990's Junior Side
  12. New Clubhouse Under Construction 1976
    New Clubhouse Under Construction 1976

BLACKLEY CRICKET CLUB – A Brief History
   
The first record of cricket being played in Blackley Village is on the 7 May 1869 when
Blackley United (15) visited Elland (35), losing by 20 runs. Later on in the summer they visited Lindwell Victoria, going down this time by 18 runs.  Blackley's first home game was in 1870 against Lindley United. At that time, the home ground was at the top of South Lane, and known simply as Blackley Field.  The season was also much longer, starting in April and going through until mid-October.
 
There is evidence to suggest that a group of local men each chipped in 1½d per week to get the club up and running.
Around 1880 Blackley joined League Cricket, possibly the West Vale League.
 
Before the end of the nineteenth century the Club moved to its present ground in Lindley Road, when Blackley Field was sold for building land and a row of houses were built at the top of South Lane.  The new field was owned by the Ainley family of the Wappy Spring Brewery.  A pavilion was built there in 1901.
 
In the early days, 'local rules' applied at Blackley’s picturesque home ground.  If a ball hit the boundary it was two; if it cleared the boundary it was four.  There was no pavilion as such - just a small wooden hut adjacent to where the Golden Fleece pub now stands.  There were also tennis courts, sited adjacent to the pub.  These had to be moved before each cricket match, and eventually moved to the top side of the ground, an area which is now Blackley New Road and the slip road to the M62.  The main issues debated by the club at this time were - a call for a lawn-mower price list (1903); a motion in favour of a weekly 'dancing' night in the pavilion (1904); and a suggestion to the effect that a fixture against Salendine Nook be accompanied by a garden party (1906).
 
In 1920 Blackley joined the Huddersfield Amateur Cricket Association League.
 
In 1932 the tiny pavilion was extended to include a storeroom and a scorebox was built in the roof space.
 
In 1936, Blackley won the Lumb Cup for the first time.
 
Later, during the Second World War, no cricket was played at Blackley between 1941 and 1945, and we are told, the cricket square was kept in neat condition by locals playing bowls on it!
 
Blackley’s ground was put up for sale in 1946, and, with the club not having enough funds to purchase it themselves, Mr Fred Wilkinson, club president, bought it and drew up a 999-year lease at a peppercorn rent of 6d. Ground alterations were then undertaken by club members when the field was levelled by removing a five foot ridge from one side of the ground.  A new entrance to the field was also made.
 
A tea room was purchased and erected in June 1951, just inside the field, by the new entrance.
 
The Cricket Club has always had close links with the Baptist Church, and this was made particularly evident by the annual Church v Club match held on the ground, where a Church team (including the minister and several members of the cricket club – who all had to attend Church !) took on a team from the Cricket Club.  This was never a ‘friendly’!!
 
In 1954 Blackley left the Huddersfield Amateur Cricket Association League (without ever winning the title) and joined the Halifax Parish Cricket League.
 
In 1957 members subscriptions were increased by 25% (from 10/- to 12s 6d) to cover increased running costs.  The president gave his annual donation of £50.
 
In September 1961 the club took legal representation for permission for Elland UDC to erect swings at the ground for the children, and also for the club to be able to play cricket on a Sunday.  The club were advised that the lease clearly stipulated that Sunday cricket was not permitted and also that the lease only permitted the field to be used for cricket, tennis and bowls, together with kindred games or for athletics, flower shows or fetes.  This clearly did not include un-organised games such as children, either individually or in groups, resorting to the ground to use swings. Both these were eventually overturned by the trustees. 
 
In 1964 junior cricket came to Blackley with the formation of an U18 team. In 1984 the age limit was changed by Halifax Junior Cricket League to U17 teams.  Blackley first won the U17 championship in 1999 and went on to retain it for the next three years.

In 1967, Blackley were promoted for the first time through winning the Halifax League Division Two title, and also made their first appearance in the Halifax Parish Cup final, losing to Booth.
 
On 15th April 1970, the club was gifted a piece of land by Webster’s brewery to extend the playing area, subject to the club paying legal expenses and building a retaining wall.  This substantial wall and the associated drainage necessary to move the water running off the hillside took two years to complete.
 
Also in 1970 the club was informed that a section of the cricket ground was required for the new M62 slip road.  The club lost a considerable area of land adjacent to the field, as well as the children’s playground with its swings and roundabouts.
 
14th October 1974 saw the launch of Blackley Cricket Society, who met monthly over the winter months for a cooked meal and a guest speaker.  The first guest speaker was Gerry Shires from Yorkshire County Cricket Club.
 
In 1975 Blackley Second Team won the Crossley Shield for the first time.
Work on a new pre-fabricated pavilion began in 1976 – but after a freak storm destroyed it around 8.30am on 29 November 1976, a BCC 'Disaster Appeal' was launched (apparently, one local pensioner saved up £5 over five weeks and donated the money to the club!).  Work re-started on a brick construction on the site of the previous disaster.  On the eve of the new pavilion opening, club members were devastated by the death of the man who made the whole thing possible, their popular president, Richard Wilkinson.
On 13 August 1978 the new pavilion, costing approximately £20,000 was officially opened by Yorkshire fast bowler Tony Nicholson and dedicated to the memory of Richard Wilkinson, president of the club between 1974 and 1978.  After unveiling a plaque Tony bowled the first over for Blackley CC against a President’s XI.
In 1980 Blackley formed a second junior team at U14 level.  In 1989 this became an U15 team, and they first won the championship in 1999.
A major change to the Halifax Cricket League came in 1985 with the formation of the Sunday Section, a league designed for those players who were unable to get a game on Saturday due to work commitments or ability, and to promote junior cricketers playing open age cricket.  Blackley were one of the founder members and first won the League in 1992.
In 1995 a further junior team was started at U12 level.  This in turn was changed to U11 in 2003 and Blackley went on to win this championship for the first time in 2006.
On Sunday 12th August 2001, Blackley Ladies went head-to-head with a women’s team from local rivals Outlane – a match that created much local interest and was reported on in both the Halifax Courier and the Yorkshire Post. Publicity ensured a big crowd at Outlane.  Blackley’s team was made up of the wives and girlfriends of the male cricketers with a few junior girls – the age range was from 12 to 45. Outlane were bowled out for just over a 100 and Blackley knocked them off for the loss of eight wickets.
 
U13 junior cricket was introduced at Blackley in 2003, and in 2013 they achieved championship success for the first time.
In 2005 Blackley became the first cricket club in Calderdale to achieve Clubmark accreditation from ECB.  This demonstrated Blackley to be a high quality community cricket club, which is well managed, with an ongoing commitment to being a safe, effective and child friendly club.

2008, a landmark achievement for Blackley as they finally win the Championship for the first time.
In 2013 Blackley entered a team at U9 level in the Halifax Junior Cricket League.